ARCHIVE OF POSTS
- 11 Garden Bloggers and Writers You Should Know
- Tour a Private Garden Near You
- Companion Planting Tips for Organic Garden Pest Control
- Tour a Private Garden Near You
- Dear Diary | Keeping a Garden Journal
- The Mole Man | Controlling Moles in the Garden and Lawn
- Garden Design Magazine Is Returning (Bigger and Better)
- Growing Thoughts | Garden Resolutions for 2014
- A Gardener Without a Wheelbarrow or Garden Cart
- Most Americans Interested in Composting, Survey Finds
- A Brief History of Intensive Gardening
- Fat Birds | A Gardener and the Local Avian Population
- Deer in the Garden | Oh, Dear!
- War of the Irises | Gardener Versus the Postman
- Beautiful Mess | A Garden’s Return to Nature
- A Burning Issue and the Virtues of a Garden Assistant
- The French Fungus Affair and the Rebirth of Organic Gardening
- The Top 24 Must-Have Mobile Apps for Gardeners
- Container Gardening 101 | Big Results in Small Spaces
- Landscape Fabric | It’s NOT the New Black
- Something in the Air | Stink Bugs Move From Garden to Home
Vegetables, Herbs & Fruits
- Digging It | America’s Home Grown Veggie Show
- New Garden Vegetables, Flowers and Herbs for 2014
- Vegetables and Herbs for Cold Climate Gardens
- Go Fig-ure | Too Much of a Good Thing
- Fall Bounty | Pumpkins, Winter Squash and Gourds
- One of the World’s Rarest Flowers Stolen
- Slow Flowers | The Best Blooms, From a Plot Near You
- Toad Lily | Autumn’s Last Flower
- Mums the Word | To Live and Die With Chrysanthemums
- Full Bloom | Little Bluestem and Purple Love Grass
Plants, Trees & Shrubs
- Plant One on Me | The Magic of Mistletoe
- Keeping the Green in Holiday Evergreens
- How to Beat a Strawberry Tree
- Holiday Plant Care | Melinda Myers Shares Her Houseplant Survival Secrets
- Pumpkin on a Stick | Ornamental Eggplant
- Fall in a Nutshell | Walnuts in France
Food, Drink & Health
- Healthier, Earth-Friendly Valentine’s Day Chocolates
- Cancer-linked Coloring Agent Found in Soda Pop
- Sprouting | GMO Inside
- How Safe is Your Organic Chicken?
- Ginger and Cinnamon | Natural Healing Herbs
- 7 Free Natural, Organic and Healthy Food Apps You Should Know
- The Best Egg Nog Money Can Buy
- Bottoms Up | The World’s Best (Almost) Champagne and an Organic Alternative
- Tasting Newfoundland and Labrador | Canada’s Remote Food Frontier
- What You Should Know About ‘Free-Range’ Turkey
- Eating Nuts Leads to Longer Life, Less Cancer, Heart Disease
- Truth in Menus and Labels | Organic Salmon
- Garden to Table | Vinegars
- Six Healthy Chinese Super Foods
- FDA Seeks to Ban Unhealthy Trans Fats
- Sprouting | SPE Certified Food
- Garden to Table | Organic Apples
- FDA: U.S. Spice Imports Contaminated with Salmonella, Insects, Excrement, Hair
- Garden to Table | Olive Oil’s Slippery Slope
Photos & Garden Tours
- Wanderlust | New York Botanical Garden
- Taking a Walk Through a Historic French Garden
- Photo of the Week | A Faithful Re-creation of a Historic Greenhouse
- Photo of the Week | Impressive Garden Beds
- Photo of the Week | Red Cottage with a Grass Roof
- Digging It | Dallas Blooms with Birds in Paradise
- Photo of the Week | A Euro-Style Garden in the South
- Photo of the Week | A Casually Opulent Outdoor Room
- Photo of the Week | A Winery Mountain Garden
- Visiting Longwood Gardens at Christmastime
- Wanderlust | The Butchart Gardens
- Photo of the Week | A Hotel Garden in Southeast Asia
- Photo of the Week | A Garden Arbor and Lush Plantings
- Photo of the Week | A Grand Garden Shed
- Wanderlust | Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden
- Photo of the Week | A South American Vegetable Garden
- Photo of the Week | English Country Estate Garden
- The Tasteful Garden | Organic Vegetables and Herbs
- In Store | Detroit Garden Works
- Digging It | EcoScraps Compost Mix
- Lodge Cast Iron Skillet | A Pan for All Seasons
- 5 Great Gifts for Gardeners
- In Store | Door to Door Organics
- Digging It | A Sailing Bag for Garden Duty
- Now Showing | Gardens of the World
- Digging It | The Patriot Fire Pit
- In Store | Mouth Foods
Outdoors & Decorating
- Upcycled Garden Wares for the Potting Bench
- Outside In | Outdoor Room Inspiration
- Cultivating Your Surroundings | 5 Ways to Bring the Garden Indoors
- Bookworm | Virginia Woolf’s Garden
- Digging It | Free-Range Chicken Gardens
- Bookworm | Beatrix Potter’s Gardening Life
- Bookworm | Children’s Books for Gardeners in the Making
- Bookworm | The Signature of All Things
- Refresh Your Garden Design | A Quick Q&A with Rebecca Sweet (Plus, Photos)
- Meet | Leslie Bennett, Co-Author of The Beautiful Edible Garden
Art & Crafts
- On a Pedestal | Lynn Karlin’s Vegetable Art
- Old Art Finds a New Purpose | The Floral Collages of Lauren Karnitz
- The Kissing Ball | A Holiday Decorating How-To
- 10 Organic Resolutions Worth Keeping for Life
- Now Showing | Growing Cities (with Urban Farms)
- In Detroit, Growtown Blooms
- Garda Dibble Tool, ThinkEco2 Planter and EcoScraps Giveaway
- Digital Wallpapers | Classic Outdoor Christmas Scenes
- Saying ‘No’ to Garden Gnomes?
- For Gardeners, a Shot at Finding a Dream Job
- Where’s the Buzz? Few Bees in the Garden
- Show Me Your Hands | Garden- and Weather-Proof Your Paws
Tag Archives: food
Growing up during the 70 and 80’s on a rural farm (population 234) in Northern Florida near the Georgia border provided me with invaluable experiences of growing, harvesting and preserving food. My paternal and maternal grandmothers both had large families … Continue reading
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE Photo | Beautiful Hardscaped Garden with Birdbath Photo | An Outdoor Living Room with Interior Appeal Photo | A Dream Stone Manor Garden in England
“Green Cities” is the focus of the 44th annual observance of of Earth Day.
The nation’s largest retailer and grocer enters the organic food rush.
The Food and Drug Administration says it’s time to rethink honey labeling standards.
A new e-learning site dedicated to informing the students—and the public—about the role of nutrients in healthy food production and the preservation of green spaces.
More Americans opting for locally grown fruit, vegetables and herbs at a time when health issues and surging food prices have become national concerns.
Are organic eggs really better for you? Does it matter it they are white or brown? Our green product specialist Joyce Newman weighs in.
Restaurants are largely missing out on our changing attitudes toward food, but there is hope.
The most popular brewed beverage gets new healthy (for you and the planet) additions.
More bad news about what’s in our food and another reason to steer clear of as many pre-fab meals as possible.
We stumbled across this short animated film and thought we’d share it. Enjoy! YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE 10 Organic Resolutions Worth Keeping for Life Sprouting | GMO Inside Sprouting | SPE Certified Food
Balanced, low-fat, low sugar, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan…Edamam has it.
Yet another potentially dangerous food additive “generally recognized as safe” by the FDA.
Green product watcher Joyce Newman shares which chocolate brands are healthy for the environment and your body.
One of the chemicals that gives cola and other dark soda their rich brown hue is a potential carcinogen, according to Consumer Reports. GV’s Joyce Newman explains.
On the rise: a leader in the fight against GMOs (genetically modified organisms).
A must-listen radio show for lovers of edible gardens.
Last week, we told you to expect some good news from us. Well, here it is. If you’ve liked what we’ve done with Garden Variety so far, there’s much more in store. We can think of nothing better than to … Continue reading
‘Tis the season to drink eggnog and one standout makes downing the traditional Christmas drink a pure pleasure.
The far-flung Canadian province—the easternmost point of North America—is off the radar of most traveling foodies. But those who do venture to this picturesque historic region will find much more than just its signature cod and blue potatoes.